2 dead, 8 injured in mass shooting in Toronto

Two people were killed and eight others wounded in a mass shooting Sunday in Toronto, according to the city’s police chief.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said at a press conference that eight people were shot, five of whom were killed. The incident also resulted in the injury of at least 15 other people.

The shootings occurred at Toronto Community Housing community-housing complexes in two different neighborhoods in Toronto.

Toronto’s police chief identified the dead as 40-year-old Reese Fallon and 15-year-old Julianna Kozis.

Police are still looking for a suspect who they believe is responsible for all 10 deaths. Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash told the AP that the suspects were armed with “handguns, possibly a rifle” and there were reports of a “litany of gun shots.”

The shooting occurred around 2:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET) and police believe that the suspects had gone to target someone at a social housing complex.

Toronto Mayor John Tory told reporters that the city will not accept this type of violence in its city.

“It’s terrible, appalling. It’s just not acceptable,” Tory said Sunday evening. “It has become too common to see this type of thing happen in our city, to see it with this level of horror, with this magnitude.”

The authorities have said the shooting is not believed to be linked to a domestic situation. But they have not confirmed that the shooting is connected to gang activity.

Saunders said the police’s Major Incident Response Team is on the scene and the investigation is ongoing.

Saunders also spoke with Toronto’s mayor before making the announcement.

Saunders said earlier that police believe a vehicle pulled up to the apartments and someone inside opened fire on people walking. That person then fled in the vehicle.

Leave a Comment